Photo: Lauren Hernandez / The Chronicle
Image 1 4
A huge fire has broken out at a residential building construction site in Santa Clara Friday morning.
Here’s what we know:
- BREAKING: Santa Clara police said they have detained a person of interest while investigating the fire.
- The building is located at El Camino Real near Scott Boulevard in Santa Clara.
- Firefighters were on the scene as of 11 a.m. working to contain the fire. Just after 1:30 p.m., firefighters said the blaze was “officially contained” and stated there is no longer a danger of the fire spreading to nearby buildings; firefighters will continue to monitor hotspots in the building.
- Smoke and flames could be seen in the surrounding areas at the start of the fire, but the Santa Clara County Fire Department is asking local residents not to call in the fire, and to use 911 for all other emergencies.
- El Camino Real between Scott Boulevard and Lincoln Street are still closed to traffic, with evacuations ordered for Pierce and Clay streets when the fire broke out, according to the Santa Clara Police Department. Evacuated neighbors were expected to be able to return to their homes by the evening, firefighters said.
- The structure is reportedly a 58-unit residential condo building with a 1.51 acre construction site on El Camino Real, NBC Bay Area reported.
This is a developing story. Head to the San Francisco Chronicle for more details.
This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Santa-Clara-blaze-erupts-residential-building-14059194.php.