Quarterback Johnny Manziel’s time in the Canadian Football League is over.
The CFL terminated the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner’s contract with the Montreal Alouettes on Wednesday. The league also informed the eight other teams that it wouldn’t register a contract for Manziel if any tried to sign him.
“We advised Montreal that Johnny had violated one of the conditions we had set for him to be in our league. And Montreal announced his release today,” CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said.
Manziel had sought treatment for anger management and alcohol abuse as part of his acquittal on a 2016 charge of domestic violence.
• Philadelphia Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said the team will not use the franchise tag on quarterback Nick Foles, making him a free agent.
• The Minnesota Vikings exercised their option on head coach Mike Zimmer’s contract for 2020.
Flames top Devils
Calgary’s Elias Lindholm and Mark Giordano scored second-period goals as the Flames extended their winning streak to seven games by beating the Devils 2-1 in Newark, N.J.
New Jersey defenseman Mirco Mueller left the ice on a stretcher after crashing headfirst into the boards. He had full feeling in his extremities before he was taken to the hospital.
• In other NHL games, Victor Hedman scored at 3:25 of overtime and Tampa Bay beat the host New York Rangers 4-3 to extend its winning streak to 10. … Andreas Johnsson scored two goals and host Toronto beat Edmonton 6-2. … Patrick Kane scored his 40th goal to snap a tie with 16.1 seconds left as visiting Chicago beat Anaheim 4-3. … Carl Soderberg scored the decisive goal in the shootout as host Colorado beat Vancouver 3-2 for its fifth win in six games.
Soccer: Alex Morgan scored her 99th international goal, but Yuka Momiki responded with a stoppage-time equalizer and Japan tied the United States 2-2 in the SheBelieves Cup in Chester, Pa. Megan Rapinoe also scored for the Americans.
In the earlier game, England defeated Brazil 2-1.
• The Premier League title race looks to be a duel between Liverpool and Manchester City after the top two collected home wins, and third-place Tottenham lost at Chelsea.
Liverpool crushed Watford 5-0, Man City got a goal from Sergio Aguero for a 1-0 win over West Ham, and an own goal clinched Chelsea’s 2-0 win.
• Luis Suarez scored twice as Barcelona defeated host Real Madrid 3-0 to reach the Copa del Rey final for the sixth straight time.
Tennis: Roger Federer topped Fernando Verdasco 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 to make the quarterfinals at the Dubai Championships, but top-seeded Kei Nishikori lost to Hubert Hurkacz 7-5, 5-7, 6-2.
• Beatriz Haddad Maia beat top-seeded Sloane Stephens 6-3, 6-3 to reach the quarterfinals of the Mexican Open in Acapulco.
College football: Quarterback Alex Hornibrook announced on Instagram that he plans to transfer from Wisconsin, where he has started for three seasons, after he graduates in May. He will be eligible to play at another school this year.
• Cal promoted Andrew Browning from a quality-control role to defensive line coach.
Baseball: Catcher Matt Wieters agreed to a minor-league deal with the St. Louis Cardinals.
This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Johnny-Manziel-released-barred-from-other-CFL-13651247.php.