Suisun’s much-loved Athenian Grill damaged in fire

One of the most popular restaurants in Suisun was damaged in a fire Saturday night.

The Suisun City Fire Department arrived at the Athenian Grill at 9 p.m. after reports of heavy smoke and flames coming from the building’s roof. Once on scene, firefighters were informed the building’s owner thought their dog was upstairs on the second floor; the dog was found and brought to safety.

The fire, which Suisun fire officials believe started accidentally in the restaurant kitchen, was put out after about an hour. Fairfield, Vacaville, Vallejo and Travis Air Force Base fire departments sent mutual aid, as did the Suisun and Montezuma fire districts.

A firefighter was treated at the scene after a “large filing cabinet fell on his foot,” SCFD wrote on Facebook. His injury was minor.

The waterfront restaurant was started by Spiros and Shelly Kontogiannis in the mid-1990s. Both their Greek dishes, like the souvlaki plate, and their American favorites, like big hamburgers, have long been favorites with Solano County residents.

The severity of the damage to the Athenian Grill is not currently known; a request for comment had not yet been answered by publication time.

This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Suisun-s-much-loved-Athenian-Grill-damaged-in-fire-13801750.php.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *