Alexander Rossi conquered the streets of Long Beach for the second consecutive year.
He became the eighth driver to win more than once on the temporary street course through the picturesque downtown
“This is a special one,” Rossi said.
Rossi won the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach from the pole Sunday, same as last year, and had the field covered early. His victory margin over Josef Newgarden was more than 20 seconds.
Rossi was the first driver to win consecutive races at Long Beach since Sebastien Bourdais won from 2005 to 2007.
• Lewis Hamilton and teammate Valtteri Bottas of Mercedes completed their third straight 1-2 double in the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai.
Sunday’s race turned out to be over in the first 30 seconds. Second on the grid, Hamilton beat pole-sitter Bottas to the first turn and then led for the entire 56 laps.
LSU basketball reinstates Wade
LSU athletic director Joe Alleva says the university is reinstating recently suspended basketball head coach Will Wade.
Alleva says that during a meeting Friday with LSU and NCAA officials, Wade “answered all questions and denied any wrongdoing in connection with recently reported allegations of irregularities in college basketball recruiting.”
LSU (28-7) was having one of the better seasons in program history under Wade, 36, when he was suspended indefinitely. His punishment came on the heels of a Yahoo report about leaked excerpts of an FBI wiretap that captured Wade speaking with a person convicted of funneling illegal payments to the families of basketball recruits.
• John Brannen was hired as Cincinnati’s head coach after leading Northern Kentucky to two NCAA Tournament appearances in the past three years. He replaces Mick Cronin, who left for UCLA.
• Wofford hired associate head coach Jay McAuley to lead the program after head coach Mike Young left for Virginia Tech.
College baseball: At Sunken Diamond, Kyle Stowers homered as No. 2 Stanford (24-5, 10-2 Pac-12) completed a three-game sweep of Washington (15-15, 5-10) with a 6-1 victory.
• Cameron Eden had four hits, including a homer, but Cal’s winning streak ended at eight games as the Bears (19-12, 7-5 Pac-12) lost 4-2 at Arizona (18-16, 6-9).
• Jack Winkler’s game-ending double in the 12th inning lifted USF (21-14, 10-5 WCC) to a 9-8 victory over St. Mary’s (20-15, 6-6) as the Dons finished a three-game sweep.
Tennis: Winning her first title since 2012, Polona Hercog beat 17-year-old Iga Swiatek 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in the Samsung Open final in Lugano, Switzerland.
• Christian Garin won the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship in Houston for his first ATP World Tour title, beating Casper Ruud 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-3.
MLS: Gianluco Busio scored for the third consecutive game to help host Sporting Kansas City tie the New York Red Bulls 2-2.
This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Alexander-Rossi-races-to-second-straight-Long-13767307.php.