Lautaro Martinez and Sergio Aguero scored as Argentina defeated guest team Qatar 2-0 in Porto Alegre, Brazil, to secure a spot in the quarterfinals of the Copa America.
Argentina finished second in Group B behind Colombia, which beat Paraguay 1-0 in Sunday’s other group match.
The top two teams in each of the three groups advance, along with the two best third-place finishers. Paraguay will advance only if Japan and Ecuador draw on Monday in Group C.
Argentina, which hasn’t been eliminated in the first round of the South American tournament since 1983, will face Venezuela in the quarterfinals at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.
Argentina opened with a 2-0 loss to Colombia and drew 1-1 with Paraguay.
• Canada got three goals each from 19-year-old Jonathan David and Lucas Cavallini and breezed to a 7-0 win over Cuba in the first game of a CONCACAF Gold Cup doubleheader at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. In the nightcap, Uriel Antuna, Raul Jimenez and Fernando Navarro scored and Mexico advanced to the quarterfinals with a 3-2 victory over Martinique.
• Felipe Gutierrez scored early in the second half and Tim Melia made four saves to give Sporting Kansas City of MLS its first road win, 1-0 over Columbus.
Motor sports: Alexander Rossi took the lead in the first turn of the first lap, then drove away from the field to win the IndyCar race at the 4.014-mile road course at Elkhart Lake, Wis.
• Lewis Hamilton won the French Grand Prix from pole position by 18 seconds, his sixth victory this season, to extend his championship lead over Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas to 36 points.
WNBA: Elena Delle Donne scored eight of her 21 points in a game-changing 14-0 run to start the second half and the visiting Washington Mystics rolled 89-73 over the Atlanta Dream. … Cheyenne Parker scored 22 points and the host Chicago Sky ended the Connecticut Sun’s seven-game winning streak, 95-73. … Leilani Mitchell scored 22 points in her first start of the season and the host Phoenix Mercury handed the Los Angeles Sparks their fourth straight loss, 82-72. … Jewell Loyd scored 21 points, two on the go-ahead basket with 24.6 seconds left, to lift the host Seattle Storm over the Indiana Fever 65-61.
Tennis: Andy Murray completed a fairy-tale return from hip surgery by winning the Queen’s Club doubles title with Feliciano Lopez, who ended the day with two titles after having won the singles title over Gilles Simon. The Spaniard is the first man to win both titles at the grass-court tournament in London since Mark Philippoussis in 1997.
• Roger Federer won his 10th Halle Open title in Germany, defeating David Goffin 7-6 (2), 6-1 at the grass-court tournament.
• Ash Barty defeated Julia Goerges 6-3, 7-5 to win the Birmingham (England) Classic title, ensuring the Australian will be No. 1 in the rankings on Monday.
Decathlon: Jordan Gray broke the American record to win the first Women’s Decathlon National Championship at College of San Mateo. The recent graduate of Kennesaw State totaled 7,921 points to become the third highest performer in world history.
This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Argentina-advances-to-Copa-America-quarterfinals-14032145.php.