Roberto Diaz shot a 9-under 62 on Thursday to take the first-round lead in the John Deere Classic in Silvis, Ill.
The 32-year-old birdied four of the first five holes, eagled the par-5 10th and birdied three of the last five in the bogey-free round at TPC Deere Run.
“The driver has been awesome,” Diaz said. “I’ve been hitting a lot of fairways, and today I hit good numbers all day, and that helps.”
Winless on the PGA Tour, Diaz tied for eighth at the Travelers Championship last month.
• Canadian Alena Sharp, 38, and South Korean Youngin Chun, 19, shared the LPGA Tour’s Marathon Classic lead at 7-under 64, a stroke ahead of Stacy Lewis and three others at Highland Meadows Golf Club in Sylvania, Ohio.
Yealimi Noh, the 17-year-old from Concord who tied for sixth last week in Wisconsin in her LPGA Tour debut, had a 73. Playing on a sponsor exemption after qualifying last week, she had five birdies and seven bogeys.
• Steve Stricker topped the Senior Players Championship leaderboard at 5-under with a hole to play when the first round was suspended for the day because of lightning in Akron, Ohio.
• Matt Kuchar shot an 8-under 63 to share the lead with Romain Wattel, Nino Bertasio and Edoardo Molinari in a low-scoring opening round at the Scottish Open in North Berwick.
Sharks re-sign Gambrell, Suomela
The Sharks re-signed forwards Dylan Gambrell and Antti Suomela.
Gambrell agreed to a two-year deal, and Suomela to a one-year contract. Financial terms weren’t disclosed.
Gambrell, 22, has not recorded a point in 11 regular-season games with San Jose. He appeared in two playoff games last season, scoring a goal. He had 20 goals and 25 assists in 51 games last season for the San Jose Barracuda in the American Hockey League.
Suomela had three goals and five assists in 27 regular-season games for San Jose last season. The 25-year-old Finn had six goals and 14 assists in 47 games for the Barracuda.
• The Montreal Canadiens re-signed Finnish forwards Joel Armia and Artturi Lehkonen to two-year contracts. Armia’s contract has an average annual value of $2.6 million. Lehkonen’s has an average of $2.4 million.
• The Dallas Stars re-signed center Jason Dickinson to a $3 million, two-year contract.
Obituary: Walt Michaels, the former New York Jets head coach who retired following the 1982 season after leading the team to the AFC title game, has died. He was 89. The former Cleveland Browns linebacker was head coach from 1977 through ’82, going 39-47-1 and making the playoffs in the 1981 and ’82 seasons.
WNBA: Las Vegas, which will host the All-Star Game on July 27, put three players in the starting lineup: A’ja Wilson, Liz Cambage and Kayla McBride. Wilson will captain one team, Washington’s Elena Delle Donne the other.
Other frontcourt players include Phoenix’s Brittney Griner, Seattle’s Natasha Howard and Connecticut’s Jonquel Jones. The starting guards are Los Angeles’ Chelsea Gray, Seattle’s Jewell Loyd, McBride and New York’s Kia Nurse.
This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Mexican-golfer-seizes-first-round-lead-in-John-14090096.php.