Mike Moustakas, Brewers finalize one-year, $10 million deal

Mike Moustakas fell one win shy of reaching the World Series with Milwaukee.

“I think we had some unfinished business after last year,” Moustakas said Tuesday after finalizing a $10 million, one-year deal with the Brewers. “I loved playing here last year. It was a lot of fun. We fell a little bit short, obviously, but I feel like this team can get back to where we were at last year.”

After Milwaukee won the NL Central for the first time since 2011, Brewers Chairman Mark Attanasio and his front office have boosted payroll to a team-record of nearly $130 million. They added catcher Yasmani Grandal for an $18.25 million, one-year deal last month and then made the surprise move to keep Moustakas.

“Our ownership group is committed to providing the resources to do absolutely the best job we can,” Attanasio said. “I’m very excited for what this team can do this year.”

Moustakas gets a $7 million salary this year under the deal, which includes an $11 million mutual option for 2020 with a $3 million buyout.

He rejected a $17.4 million qualifying offer from Kansas City after the 2017 season and returned to the Royals in mid-March for a one-year contract that included a guaranteed $6.5 million, then earned an additional $2.2 million in performance bonuses.

The infielder hit .256 with eight homers and 33 RBIs in 54 games for Milwaukee, which acquired him from the last-place Royals on July 27. A 30-year-old left-handed hitter, Moustakas had a .251 average overall with 28 homers and 95 RBIs last year. He struck out for the final out of the NL Championship Series loss to the Dodgers.

“Once that contract’s signed, I’m ready to go to work,” Moustakas said. “This is what I live for, this is why I play this game — to come out here and hang out with these guys and go win a championship. I can’t wait to get back on the field and start doing that again.”

Sidelined Sano: Minnesota third baseman Miguel Sano will miss at least the first week of full-squad workouts after he cut his foot while celebrating his team winning the Dominican Winter League championship.

Sano has been wearing a walking boot to protect the wound, which is above the heel on his right foot.

Manager Rocco Baldelli said he considers the injury a “minor issue.” He said he’s more excited about the offseason agility work and strength training Sano did to arrive at spring training noticeably slimmer than last year.

Osich to Orioles: Baltimore claimed left-handed pitcher Josh Osich on waivers from the Giants.

In the last four seasons with San Francisco, the 30-year-old was 6-5 with a 5.01 ERA.

Osich’s addition gives the Orioles four left-handed relievers on their 40-man roster.

To make room for Osich on the 40-man roster, Baltimore designated infielder Hanser Alberto for assignment.

Martinez idled: St. Louis pitcher Carlos Martinez has been shut down for two weeks to build up shoulder strength after an injury-plagued season.

St. Louis manager Mike Shildt said that Martinez won’t throw before being reevaluated March 5. Shildt said an MRI exam this week showed Martinez’s right shoulder was structurally sound.

A two-time All-Star, the 27-year-old righty was 8-6 with five saves and a 3.11 ERA in 33 games last year, 18 of them starts. The Cardinals had not said for certain how Martinez would be used this season.

Dietrich to Reds: Derek Dietrich and Cincinnati finalized a minor-league contract, giving the Reds another infield and outfield option. The 29-year-old had spent all six of his previous big-league seasons with the Marlins and would have been eligible for salary arbitration, but he was designated for assignment Nov. 20 and became a free agent.

This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Mike-Moustakas-Brewers-finalize-one-year-10-13629496.php.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *