Nate Lashley shot a bogey-free 9-under-par 63 on Saturday to open a six-stroke lead in the PGA Tour’s Rocket Mortgage Classic at 23-under 193.
Lashley, 36, slipped into the field at Detroit Golf Club as an alternate and the 353rd-ranked player has put himself in position to win for the first time on tour.
Lashley, the first- and second-round leader, started Saturday with a one-shot lead and pulled away with the low round of the day. J.T. Poston (66) was is his nearest challenger.
• Sung Hyun Park shot 63 and Carlota Ciganda 66 to share the second-round lead of the LPGA Tour’s Walmart NW Arkansas Championship in Rogers at 13-under 129. First-round leader Inbee Park (69) slipped into a seven-way tie for second, two strokes back.
• Steve Stricker opened a six-stroke lead in the U.S. Senior Open in South Bend, Ind., shooting a 4-under 66 and extending his bogey-free run to 48 holes. Seeking his second senior major title after winning the Regions Tradition by six strokes in May, Stricker had a tournament-record 18-under 192 total. Jerry Kelly (70) was second.
• Christiaan Bezuidenhout of South Africa shot a 2-under 69 to increase his lead to five strokes in the European Tour’s Andalucia Valderrama Masters in Spain.
NBA: Point guard Darren Collison has decided to retire after 10 seasons to focus on being a Jehovah’s Witness. Collison, 31, played for the Indiana Pacers the past two seasons. He told ESPN that he decided to retire primarily to concentrate on helping the less fortunate through his faith.
NHL: The Dallas Stars waived forward Valeri Nichushkin, 24, and plan to buy out the final year of his contract. … The Vancouver Canucks placed center Ryan Spooner on waivers to buy out the final year of his two-year, $8 million contact.
Motor sports: Austin Dillon won the pole for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill, recording a top lap of 176.263 mph in his No. 3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet. Kevin Harvick qualified second.
• Cole Custer, 21, held off Joey Logano at Chicagoland Speedway for his fourth NASCAR Xfinity Series victory of the season.
• Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc took the pole position for the Austrian Grand Prix in Spielberg, edging Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton and last year’s winner Max Verstappen of Red Bull.
Tennis: Karolina Pliskova beat defending Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber 6-1, 6-4 in the Eastbourne final in England, just two days before the grass-court Grand Slam starts in southwest London.
WNBA: A’ja Wilson, the WNBA’s rookie of the year last season, scored 39 points as the Las Vegas Aces defeated the visiting Indiana Fever 102-97 in overtime. Kelsey Mitchell scored 21 points for Indiana. … Elena Delle Donne had 19 points and 10 rebounds to help the host Washington Mystics hand the Connecticut Sun one of the worst defeats in WNBA history, 102-59.
This post was originally posted at https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Nate-Lashley-opens-6-shot-lead-in-PGA-Tour-event-14061761.php.